Friday, June 18, 2010

Graduation 2010!

"Graduation is only a concept. In real life every day you graduate. Graduation is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference."
~Arie Pencovici

Last night my students graduated. I am hesitant to use the term 'my students' when talking about the students who graduated, bringing about connotations that I actually had something to do with them getting to receive their diploma! It's always a interesting discussion about how much influence we teachers have on our students success at any level of schooling. Every convocation I attend, I always look around at the people in the audience and realize that we teachers are only a small part of our students success. Parents, friends, coaches, administrators, guidance counsellors, employers, and so many more people have such a profound role in each student's education. However, that small role that teachers have is profound in the way it can influence a student in the present and in the future.

I often think back to some of my favorite teachers from elementary, secondary, and university (I'll tell you about them in another post some time) and I wonder if they knew what positive role models they were for me. I wonder, beyond the students who have the courage to thank you in person, if I am doing my job well enough to inspire my students. I, similar to many other teachers, like to think I am doing my best to bring out the best in 'my students'. I like to think that I want to make my students feel the way my teachers made me feel- empowered, smart, and good. I think back to what made each of these teachers special and it was that these teachers cared and were not afraid to show that they cared.

Last night was particularly special because I had the opportunity to see some of my students graduate for the second time. Many of the students I had taught at the high school were now graduating from the college (wow, do I feel old!). It is truly amazing to see how different and how similar the students are now compared to two years ago. The most important similarity is the look of hope they have in their eyes. They are proud of what they have accomplished and how happy they have made their friends, families, and teachers. The obstacles that they have encountered along the journey are merely small pebbles, and they have the energy and motivation on graduation night to conquer any Everest that is put in front of them. As a teacher, it is a wonderful feeling to see the hope (mixed with excitement and fear) in the students eyes. It is wonderful to see the pride that parents have in their children!

I think one of my favorite parts beyond seeing the students walk across the stage to receive their diplomas, is when the students introduce you to their parents and families. For me, this is confirmation that I have had some role in the students' education. It is the idea that I am worthy and important enough to be introduced to the most important people in our students lives.

Last night, I met many parents! A few of my fondest (and 1 very funny) memories from last night.....
- meeting Sophie's mom (who was a teacher at a school where I did a field experience many moons ago) and hearing how Sophie would come home from school and tell her all about nutrition class over family dinner....and how Nonna was not going to make the pasta dinners any healthier!!
-meeting Veronica's entire family: yes, 1 dad, 1 mom, 2 nonnas, 1 grandpa (I have no idea how to say this in Italian as the nonnas always make the tiramisu and the students always argue about who's tiramisu is better!), and 1 brother...what a lovely and extremely supportive family! It was easy to see why Veronica is as pleasant as she is and how she has succeeded in school!
-meeting Lindsay's parents who drove all the way up from my home town. Lindsay, who is actually only a year younger than me, approached me after the first class and it turns out we had played against each in other in sports during high school- who knew! Her parents brought a little of the Ottawa Valley and home to the graduation!
-finally, the funniest part of the night was when one of my older (read: 22) male students came up and said that he had always wanted to tell me that I was a hot cougar. Speechless, a cougar!!!! Really, at 28????


Ah, cheers to the graduates of 2010!! May you go forth with excitement and continue to graduate every day! May you change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment